Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Belief vs. Knowledge

All throughout the book, I find it frustrating how Omishto is said to believe, or not to believe in things, yet is never said to know things. Although I think there is a difference between believing and knowing, I feel strong beliefs lead a person to knowing them. From what we talked about in class on Tuesday, it would seem that Omishto knows things, not just believes them. From what she is taught in school, her experiences, and rationalizations, we discussed are all ways a person comes to know things. I think in Power, Omishto does know things, but Linda Hogan makes her character seem less powerful by simply saying she has beliefs about things. With this I mean, if Omishto was more set in her opinions and had very strong feelings about something, her beliefs would be turned into knowing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment