Thursday, March 26, 2009

'How Does a Person Get to be That Way?'


After reading the first part of Lucy by Jamaica Kincaid, I found I was absolutely repulsed by the character of Lucy. She was so negative toward everything, her new surroundings, her job, the snow, and everyone around her. She was especially hostile toward her mother, which I thought was horrible. The most confusing part of this reading to me was in all Lucy's interactions, she wondered how the other person got to be a certain way. For example, when Mariah was excited by the thought of spring and "made to feel alive by some flowers bending in the breeze" (17). Lucy did not ask that question out of admiration for Mariah, but more looking down on her and thinking such a thing was stupid. What bothered me the most in these instances was that the book did not give any insight into her past that made her so bitter.
I feel the character of Lucy is very cynical for no reason. It was her choice to leave her friends, family, and homeland behind and now she should embrace her new life.

2 comments:

  1. I was also frustrated that Lucy was so negative toward her new home. I guess I was just frustrated by the fact that we know her past was bad but we don't get any details. I want details! It would explain some of her cynicism. Hopefully we'll learn more by the end of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is interesting because at the same time as i feel bad for Lucy I, too, think she needs to try to see the good in her bad situation

    ReplyDelete